Saturday, August 2, 2008

Coaching and Progress

I went to Rathdrum yesterday, having arranged a session of coaching with David Cullen.

He gave me a lot of very direct advice, which is exactly what I was looking for. My spine wasn't as straight as it should have been, so we re-arranged my position, and he suggested I move my handstop forward and adjust the sling correspondingly. It's awkward to get used to, but I think it's more stable than previously now, and think it will help me in the long term.

One point is that he suggested I get shooting lenses, as my glasses seem to be distorting the sight picture quite a lot (I often get an oval sight picture, at a diagonal slant, especially after a while of shooting) and this makes it very difficult to centre. So it looks like I'll have to invest in a pair of lenses, which was something I had considered anyway, but it's good to hear it's definitely a good idea.

Definitely think his coaching helped me squeeze out a few points where I might not have before, and shot 90-95 for the day, so if I can drag things to the upper end of that scale, I'll be fairly happy. I should definitely be scoring well this Autumn, and will be getting more training from Dave any time I can, as I found it very helpful.

No comments: