Monday, August 25, 2008

DRC August Open

DRC had their August Open yesterday. It was a really enjoyable shoot, with a barbecue (much appreciated). It was tricky however. Conditions looked distinctly amiable when I was getting down to shoot, but the wind was far less reliable than it looked, and light kept spiking for several minutes at a time. I was reasonably happy with my positional consistency and technique wasn't bad. Mind could have been better, but the score was largely down to a failure to deal with the conditions properly I think. I was using a 4.5mm foresight element for the first two cards, and switched to a 4.1mm for the last card, which was my best overall. I shot very consistently, which to me points to technical consistency, with all my strings between 90 and 92, and four of them being 92, and finished with a 549 overall. I can shoot better than that, and I think the indoor season will see a lot of better scores for me. I need to dedicate some time to learning to read and react to conditions outdoors however. I'll have plenty of time to try before matches start up again next summer. There's only one outdoor match left here before we move indoors for the winter. I'm looking forward to the indoor competitions because it'll force me to really focus hard on my technique and consistency. It's definitely improving, however, and I aim to hit 570 in the next few months indoors. Plenty of dry-fire training, positional and technical analysis, and some coaching should help me get there. I'll also work on the outdoor aspects between the close of this season and the matches next summer.

No comments: